Monday, January 5, 2015

Healthy Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup



It's so easy to get into a rut when it comes to planning dinners. For me, meals need to be easy and they need to be healthy and I don't like to spend a lot of time researching new ideas so I tend to rotate through the same dishes week after week after week.

One of the things I want to do more of in 2015 is to change things up. I want to do more. I want to try more. I want to expose myself to more. And yes, that even includes my home menu. I'm reading a book by John C. Maxwell right now called How Successful People Think, and in it he writes:
"When was the last time you did something for the first time? Do you avoid taking risks or trying new things? One of the best ways to get out of the rut of your own thinking is to innovate. You can do that in little, everyday ways: drive to work a different way from normal. Order an unfamiliar dish at your favorite restaurant. Ask a different colleague to help you with a familiar project. Take yourself off of autopilot." 
So with that in mind, I tried a new recipe for dinner last night, a Paleo slow-cooker enchilada soup. I don't often make soups for dinner but it was a cold night in Minneapolis and soup -- i dunno -- just... felt right. Plus, anything that I can easily throw into the slow cooker and forget about for 8 hours always gets extra points in my book. I didn't have very high expectations for this one, but OMG you guys -- it was SO GOOD!! It was tasty and filling and even my hubby loved it (he even took the leftovers to work today for lunch) and he's not even a soup person. This recipe could easily be used with the 21 Day Fix nutrition plan, and if you wanted to add a carb or starch (yellow container) you could easily add in some whole grain pasta, a cut up ear of corn on the cob or some brown rice and it would taste equally amazing.

Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup

Ingredients 

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, pitted and sliced

Instructions


Add the chicken breasts to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic on top of the chicken. Pour the diced tomatoes and chicken stock over the top. Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours (or I cooked mine on high heat for about 3 1/2 hours and it was perfect) . Use a fork to shred chicken before serving. Garnish with cilantro and avocado. Makes 4 servings.


[Recipe credit: paleogrubs.com]

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment