Wednesday, February 5, 2014

P90X3 - A Beginner's Review of Week 1

I have to admit, I was hesitant to buy P90X3. The commercials and ads look downright scary and I wasn't sure I'd be able to keep up with the program, much less complete it. But I was ready to get serious about my fitness, and as a busy mama the 30-minute workouts really appealed to me so I went for it.

I can honestly say after completing week one, I am officially HOOKED. I've since had to take a break due to an unrelated back injury - but I wanted to get this up ASAP for those of you who are considering the program but are uncertain if you can do it. Because the answer is, YOU CAN!

First off, I love the flexibility the program offers. You can chose between four schedule options based on your specific goals: Classic - a traditional balance of cardio, resistance, and muscle confusion to help lose fat, gain muscle and increase agility; Lean - designed for those who prefer a more tines look (higher focus on cardio); Mass - for those looking for bulk over getting ripped; and Doubles - accelerated fitness gains and weight loss for those who are ready for it. I also love that you don't need a ton of equipment. I use a resistance band (instead of a pull-up bar) and two 5 pound dumbbells. THAT'S IT!

As a first timer, I chose to go with the classic schedule. Here's my daily breakdown for week 1:

Day 1 - Total Synergistics 
A full-body resistance workout utilizing multiple muscle groups in every exercise. The moves combined yoga balance poses with some light weights and hopping moves: push-ups, side planks, chair pose, crunches, boat pose and squats. The modifications were totally doable for a beginner like me and I can't tell you how amazing it felt to successfully complete my first P90X3 workout!

Day 2 - Agility X
A full-body workout that requires using two strips on tape to mark target spots on the floor to dictate movement. It uses aerobic and anaerobic energy to focus on precision, power, flexibility, balance and strength. I woke up sore after day 1, but I loved that day 2 didn't require any equipment or weights, just the force of my own body.

Day 3 - X3 Yoga
By day 3, yoga was exactly what my body needed to recharge and relax mentally and physically. It was by no means an easy routine, but I was able to get through most of the moves without modifications which shows that my arms are already getting stronger.

Day 4 - The Challenge
The Challenge is 30 minutes of various push-ups and pull-ups. I can't do one pull-up to save my life, but luckily they show you how to use a resistance band instead to modify. This workout was definitely outside of my comfort zone, but I completed it (modified the push-ups also by going on my knees) and I felt amazing having challenged myself! Note: Your arms will feel like jell-o after this one!

Day 5 - CVX
If you know me at all, you know I am not a big fan of cardio and day 5 was cardio using a light weight. I started off optimistic using my 5 lb. dumbbell, but as you can see in my day 5 picture below, that was too much for me and I switched to using one of my daughter's lightweight toys after the first minute. But I made it through all 30 minutes (with a couple of added water breaks) and burned almost 400 calories, which is a lot for me!

Day 6 - The Warrior
Day 6 was a tough workout, but it was Saturday so my husband and daughter were both home cheering me on, so I really gave it my all. The Warrior is an equipment-free workout based on military training techniques that combines upper- and lower-body resistance with core and cardio workouts. Like I said, day 6 was tough- but knowing that it was my last workout of the week was a huge motivation for me to kill it - and I did!

Day 7 - Rest
I made it through my first week of P90X3 and it feels AMAZING. If you told me a year ago that I'd be doing and CRUSHING a P90X workout, I would have laughed in your face. It's so amazing what can happen when you change your mindset, focus on your WHY, and set up a support system. Having an online support group with others doing the program has been such a blessing and motivation!

The other thing I love about P90X3 is that it comes with a complete nutrition plan to help you achieve maximum results. Remember, all that hard work is for nothing if you're not eating right -- you can't outrun your fork!! Read more about the nutrition plan and my week 1 meal schedule in a later post

If you would like to join me in doing P90X3, my challenge group will guide you through the entire program, getting you the amazing results you're after. You'll even have the chance to win $500 for submitting your before and after photos! Contact me to learn more, I can't wait to work with you!

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment